Taken from The New Hampshire Gazetter 1817

CHESTERFIELD, a township in Cheshire county. It was incorporated in 1752, and in 1810, its population amounted to 1830. It is situated on Connecticut river opposite to Dummerston in Vermont. It is bounded N. by Westmore­land, S. E. by Swansey and a part of Keene, S. by Winchester and Hinsdale, and W. by Connecticut river. This town contains a pond of 526 acres, called Spofford’s pond, and in the S. W. part of the town is a part of West riv­er mountain. The soil of this town is of various qualities, and its surface is rough. It produces different kinds of grain, and is well suited to grass, pasturing, etc. The Rev. Abraham Wood, a con­gregational minister, was or­dained in this town Dec. 31st, 1772, and is still settled there. This town contains a baptist society, which however is des­titute of a public house of wor­ship. The village here is small, but it contains an academy, which is supported by its tui­tion money, subscriptions, and yearly donations. Its aver­age number of students is 40. There is also a cotton factory in this town, which was incor­porated in 1809, and has in op­eration 844 spindles. Besides this, there are 2 distilleries, 4 grist-mills, 7 saw-mills, 2 mills for dressing cloth, 2 carding-machines, 5 shops, and 10 school-houses. West river mountain, which is partly in this town, is of some note. In the year 1730, the garrison at fort Dummer was frequently alarmed by ex­plosions heard from this moun­tain, attended by the emission of columns of smoke. Simi­lar phenomena have been no­ticed at various subsequent pe­riods. There are two places about this mountain where the rocks bear evident traces of having been heated and calcin­ed.

CHICHESTER, a township in Rockingham county, is bound­ed N. E. by Pittsfield and Ep­som, S. W. by Pembroke, and N. W. by Loudon and a part of Concord. It was incorporat­ed in 1727, and contains 11,978 acres and 951 inhabitants. Suncook river flows through the easterly part of this town, into which river a small stream falls from the western side of the town. In this town are water mills. The New-Hamp­shire turnpike passes through here to Concord. The settle­ment of this town was com­menced by Mr. Paul Morrill in the year 1758. The soil of Chichester is excellently adapted to the cultivation of rye, corn, and wheat. The only high ground of importance here is Bear hill, situated in the N. part of the town, the sides of which are covered with a rich and cultivated soil. In 1801, a turnpike was cut through the woods which then covered this spot. There were at that time no houses here, nor had agriculture com­menced its progress. Since that time 12 dwelling-houses have been erected within the space of 2 miles. The land is now divided into lots and fenced,and a large portion of it is al­ready improved and well cul­tivated, There is only one re­ligious society in this town, and of this the Rev. Josiah Carpenter is the minister. He is a congregationalist and was ordained in 1791, and is the only minister ever settled here. Besides the meeting-house there are 5 school-houses. In various parts of the town are still to be seen traces of Indian settlements. Marks of corn plantations, and the ruins of wigwams were easily discov­ered on the banks of Suncook river, and several Indian hatch­ets were ploughed up near the present site of the meeting­house by one of the first set­tlers, captain Samuel Langmaid.

CLAREMONT, a township on Connecticut river in the coun­ty of Cheshire. It was incor­porated in 1764, and in 1810, it contained 2,094 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by Cornish, E. by Newport, S. by Unity and Charleston, and W. by the river. There are here 2 ferries across the Connecticut extend­ing to Weathersfield in Ver­mont, called Ashley’s and Sumner’s ferries. Hubbard’s isl­and, just below Ashley’s ferry is 240 rods long and 40 wide. Sugar river passes through this town and supplies many valuable mill seats, on which are erected 3 grain-mills, 3 saw-mills, and 3 mills for dressing cloth, 1 carding-ma­chine, 1 paper-mill, and 1 oil-mill. The second New-Hampshire turnpike passes from Amherst through this town. There is 1 congregational and 1 episcopalian society in this place, over the former of which Rev. S. Farley, and over the latter Rev. C. Barber are ordained. Their predecessors were the Rev. G. Wheaton, A. Hibbert, and R. Cassit. Be­sides these two societies, the methodists have here a public house of worship.

CLEAR STREAM RIVER ris­es in the mountains on the W. side of the town of Dixville, near the northerly extremity of Millfield. Passing thence through the centre of the town of Er­rol, it falls into Andriscoggin river three miles S. of Umbagog lake.

COCHECHO or DOVER-RIVER has its source among a number of small ponds in the town of New-Durham. It thence takes a southerly direction through the towns of Farmington and Rochester, where it unites with its southern branch, called Is­inglass river. From this place the main stream passes through Dover, where it falls into Newichawannock or Salmon falls river, thence to Hilton’s point where the southern branch meets it. From this junction to the sea, which is 8 miles distant, the course of this river is rapid and never freez­es.

COLEBROOK, a township in Coos county. It was incorpo­rated in 1770, and now contains 325 inhabitants. It lies on Connecticut river 40 miles N. of Lancaster. It is bound­ed N. by Stewartstown, E. by Dixville, S. by Columbia, and W. by the river, and contains 25,056 acres. This town is watered by Mohawk river and Beaver brook. It has 1 meet­ing-house and an ordained minister. It contains a grain-mill, a saw-mill, 2 mills for dressing cloth, 1 carding-ma­chine, 1 oil-mill, a distillery, and 1 retail store.

COLD RIVER. rises in Cold-pond in Acworth, whence its most northerly branch flows, and its most southerly flows from Alstead. These branches unite in Walpole, where the main stream falls into Connect­icut river.

COLLEGE LANDS, a tract of land granted to the trustees of Dartmouth college by the state legislature in 1789. It lies on Connecticut river N. of Stewartstown and contains 40,960 acres. Two streams called Dead water and Cedar stream pass through this tract. It lies 130 miles N., 9° W. from Portsmouth. In 1807, the legislature made to the college another grant of land lying on the easterly border of the state containing 23,040 acres, equal to 6 square miles. This tract lies N. 5° W., 123 miles from Portsmouth.

COLUMBIA, a township in Coos county. Bounded N. by Colebrook, E. by Dixville and Erving’s location, S. by unap­propriated lands and Stratford, and W. by Connecticut river. It contains 32,800 acres. Sims stream and Cole brook rise in this town and empty themselves here into Connecticut river. Roaring brook falls into the same river near the lower extremity of this town. There are here several mountains of a considerable size, and a num­ber of small ponds. This town contains 1 grist-mill, 2 saw­mills, 1 mill for dressing cloth, 1 trading store, and 1 distillery. This place was formerly called Cockburn.

CONCORD is in Rockingham county. It lies on both sides of Merrimack river, was in­corporated in 1765, and now contains 2,393 inhabitants. It is bounded as follows, begin­ning at the junction of the Sun­cook and Merrimack, it runs up the Suncook to Loudon, thence N. 47° W. 810 rods, and N. 211° W. 700 rods to Canterbury, thence on the same course 191 rods, thence S. 72°, W. 1370 rods across the junc­tion of the two rivers, and by Boscawen to Hopkinton, thence S. 20° W. 2279 rods to Bow, thence on the same course binding on Bow 32 rods,thence N. 70° E. 1222 rods to Merri­mack river, thence down said river to the boundary first mentioned. It contains 40,919 acres, 1710 of which are wa­ter. There are four ponds in this town, Turkey pond, the source of Turkey river, containing about 1000 acres, Long pond containing about 420, Turtle pond containing about 240, and Horse-shoe pond con­taining about 50 acres, the wa­ters of which fall into the Mer­rimack. The Rev. Timothy Walker was ordained in this town in 1730, and died in 1782, aged 78 years. The Rev. Israel Evans was ordained here in 1789, and removed soon af­terwards. The Rev. Dr. Asa McFarland is the present min­ister. Concord is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Merri­mack about 8 miles above Hookset falls. The state legis­lature have for many years held all its sessions here, and from its central situation and thriving back country, Concord will probably be made the per­manent capital of the state. Proposals are already made for erecting a state house here. One handsome toll-bridge across the Merrimack connects this town with Pembroke, an­other crosses the river near the northerly extremity of the town, over which the N. H. turnpike passes. The Indian name of this town was Penacook. When granted by Massachusetts it was called Rumford. The compact part of the town which lies principally on the main-street contains about 200 dwelling houses, a spacious meeting­house, 3 printing-offices, 20 stores, and several mechanics shops. The village in the N. E. part of the town contains 28 dwelling-houses, 2 stores; a distillery, and several mills. The whole town contains 5 grain-mills, 8 saw-mills, 4 mills for dressing cloth, 2 carding-machines, and a nail-factory. The N. H. state prison is in this town. It is strongly built of stone, and in November 1816, it contained 30 prisoners. The first settlement of this town commenced in 1685. Jonathan Tyng with 19 other persons purchased of the In­dians a tract of land on both sides of the Merrimack river, 6 miles in breadth from Souhegan river to Winnipiseogee lake, and, Mason by deed confirmed the purchase. In August of the same year the Indians gathered their corn and removed their families. By this conduct they gave considerable alarm to their English neighbours. In 1746, a party of Indians lay in ambush in this town with an intention to attack the people while at public worship, but observing them go armed to their devotions they waited till the next morning, at which time they killed 5 and took 2 prisoners. In 1747, July 28th, the In­dians again appeared in this place and made some depreda­tion among the cattle. They were pursued by 50 of the En­glish, and they retreated with great precipitation,leaving their packs and blankets behind them. One man, only was wounded in the arm. About the same time a person was killed there who had just returned from Cape-Breton after an absence of two years.
On the 20th of March, 1772, died in this town Benjamin Rolfe. He was one of the first who adventured their lives in a land of savages with the intention of forming an En­glish settlement at Concord, then called Penacook and at a distance of nearly 40 miles from any civilized habitation. Benjamin Thompson (bet­ter known to the world under the title of Count Rumford) set­tled in this town in the early part of his life. The town was then called Rumford. Here he married Miss Rolfe. In 1775, he went to England, and was employed as clerk in the office of lord George Germaine, who was then one of the secre­taries of state, and who eventu­ally procured for him a colo­nels commission. While serv­ing in the British army he dis­covered such talents for pro­jecting military improvements, so much mental activity and enterprise, and such acute dis­cernment in practical philoso­phy, that his celebrity extend­ed through foreign countries, and attracted the attention of the reigning duke of Bavaria, who offered Col. Thompson a preferment in his service, which he accepted in 1784. Raised by this prince-to the rank of Lieut. Gen. of horse he soon signalized himself by introducing a new system of discipline and economy among the troops under his com­mand. During a residence of sever­al years in Bavaria, he was conspicuous for his unwearied and successful efforts to ame­liorate the condition of the poor and particularly to annihi­late the evil of common begga­ry by providing the beggars, (a class of people with which that country swarmed) with em­ployment and the cheapest ali­ment. All this time his active and sagacious mind suggested a variety of improvements fa­vourable to manufactures, do­mestic economy, and comfort. He particularly improved the construction of chimneys and stoves, and made many inter­esting and beneficial experi­ments on heat, cookery, and food. On his leaving the German service the duke of Bavaria created him a count, his title by his own choice, was taken from the town (Rumford) where he spent his youth. After leaving Bavaria count Rumford passed most of his time in Great Britain, where he received the honour of knight­hood and enjoyed an uncom­mon share of public and pri­vate respect. By steadily di­recting his extraordinary tal­ents to the promotion of the daily comfort and general wel­fare of the human family he made every civilized being his debtor, and, while he has reflected signal honour upon his native land, his well merited fame has extended itself over a large portion of the globe. He died in Autencil in France in the year 1814, aged sixty.

CONCORD in Grafton county, was incorporated in 1768, and was formerly called Gunthwait. It is a flourishing town. Its population has nearly doubled within the last 10 years, and in 1810, it amounted to 1126. The value of property here has increased with the same rapidity. It is bounded N.E. by Littleton and Bethlehem, S. E. by Franconia, S. W. by Landaff, and N.W. by Lyman, and contains 29,130 acres. There are here several ponds, viz. Minks, Straters, etc. Two branches of the Great Amonoosuck meet in this town and pass through it. An iron fac­tory lies on the eastern border of the town, adjacent to Fran­conia. Large quantities of lime-stone are found here, and large kilns are already erected, in which are burnt 400 hogs­heads yearly. All the iron ore, which supplies two furnaces, is dug from a quarry situated in the S.E. part of the town, about 4 miles distant from the furnaces. There are in this town 1 meeting-house, 3 corn-mills, 5 saw-mills, 1 mill for dressing cloth, and an oil-mill. There is here a freewill baptist church, over which Elder J. Quimby was ordained Septem­ber, 1800.

CONNECTICUT RIVER has its source among the high lands, which separate the United States from Lower Canada. One of the princi­pal parent streams of this river is called Indian stream, which runs nearly in a straight line from its source to its junction with the main branch. The most northerly branch is call­ed Hall’s stream, which, with Perry’s stream and several others from the west, form in conjunction one grand river near the 50th degree of N. lati­tude on land granted to Dart­mouth college. It has been surveyed about 30 miles be­yond the 45th degree of N. lat­itude to the head of its north­western branch, and is settled nearly all the distance to its source. Its general course S. S.W. along the western border of New-Hampshire, (between that state and Vermont) about 170 miles, it then passes into Massachusetts. Connecticut river in its course between New-Hamp­shire and Vermont from the 45th degree of latitude passes between Stewartstown in New-Hampshire and Canaan in Ver­mont, thence between Cole­brook and Lexington. Here the river bends considerably to the E. as if to give place to Monadnock mountain, which lies on Lexington shore in Vermont. It receives Mo­hawk river opposite to this mountain, and Jacob’s brook a few miles below. Here the river again takes a westerly inclination and flows between Columbia and Minchead to Stratford opposite Brunswick in Vermont. At this place Nohegan river falls into the Connecticut from the upper ex­tremity of Brunswick, and Pauls stream from the lower corner of the same town. The river here bends to the east on the border of Northumber­land, where it receives the up­per Amonoosuck, at a great bend opposite the lower ex­tremity of Maidstone. From this point its course is very crooked to the upper part of Lancaster, where there is a bridge leading to Guildhall in Vermont. Five or six miles below this, Israel river emp­ties itself, passing from Lan­caster village falls, 3 miles a­bove the Catbow. At Catbow the river inclines to the west, and passes between Dalton to Lunenburgh, where the 15 miles falls commence. At this place John’s river empties it­self from Dalton, and Neal’s brook from Lunenburgh. Here the river makes a westerly bend, receiving Mile’s river and passing between Littleton and Concord, where there is a bridge built over the falls. It has thence a southerly course between Bath and Rigate, where the Great Amonoosuck empties itsalf at the lower ex­tremity of Bath opposite the mouth of Wells river, which passes from Newbury, Ver­mont. Between Haverhill and Newbury, the river is crooked, passing under three bridg­es, and receiving Oliverian river from the east and a small stream from the west at the Great Ox-bow. As it thence flows between Piermont and Bradford, it receives two large mill-streams and Wait’s river from the latter place, and two small mill-streams from the former. It thence passes on through Orford and Fairlee, Lyme and Thelford to Grant’s island near the line of Windsor county, Vermont. A bridge over the falls just below Dart­mouth college unites the towns of Hanover and Norwich, and another bridge four or five miles below, near the mouth of Mascoma river from New-Hampshire and White river from Vermont, connects the towns of Lebanon, N. H. and Hartford, Vt. Between Plain­field and Hartland is a small island called Hart’s island, where Queechy river and Lull’s brook empty themselves from Vermont. From Hart’s island the river keeps nearly a straight course between Cornish and Windsor, till it reaches the mouth of Sugar river at Clare­mont. Two very good mill­streams empty themselves from Windsor and several from Weathersfield opposite Clare­mont. The mouth of Sugar river is several miles below Ascutney mountain. As the river flows on between Charles­ton and Springfield, it receives Black river from the’ latter town and Williams river from Rockingham. It thence passes between Walpole and the lower part of Rockingham, where the great falls commence, now known by the ap­pellation of Bellows’ falls. The width of the river above them is at some point 22 rods, at others not more than 16. The average depth of the channel is about 25 feet, and is gener­ally well supplied with water. It is said, however, that in September, 1792, after a severe drought, the waters of this riv­er passed within a space of twelve feet wide and two and a half feet deep. A large rock here divides the stream into two channels, each about nine­ty feet wide. When the water is low, the eastern channel is dry, being crossed by a bar of solid rock. At such times the whole stream falls into the western channel, where it is contracted to the breadth of fifteen feet, and flows with as­tonishing rapidity. There are several pitches within the dis­tance of half a mile above each other, the largest of which is that, where the rock divides the stream. Not withsonding the violence of the current here, the salmon pass up the falls and are taken many miles above, but the shad do not pass beyond the falls. In 1784, a bridge of timber, constructed by Col. Hale was projected over these falls 365 feet in length. This bridge was sup­ported by the great central rock, and under it the highest floods pass without doing injury. The river from this place flows along the lower extremi­ty of Walpole, front which town Cold river empties it­self, and from Westminster, which lies opposite, Sexton riv­er falls in with several other small streams. It thence pass­es “Westmoreland which lies opposite to Putnam and Dummerston, thence it flows by Chesterfield situated opposite to Brattleborough, where it re­ceives Wantoostilqueck or West river. Between Hins­dale in New-Hampshire and Hinsdale in Vermont is a re­markable bend, where Ashuelot river empties itself. The Connecticut a few miles below this point passes over. the S. line of New-Hampshire into Massachusetts. Its passage through the county of Hamp­shire waters some of the most pleasant towns in the common­wealth, such as Springfield, Hadley, Northampton, etc. It thence enters the limits of Connecticut, passes over En­field falls, thence to Windsor, where it receives Windsor fer­ry river, thence to Hartford, where it meets the tide and flows in a crooked channel into Long Island sound. At the distance of 130 miles from its mouth, its width is from 80 to 100 rods. The whole length of this beau­tiful river is bordered on each of its banks with some of the most flourishing towns in the United States. Throughout its whole course, it preserves a distance of between 80 and 100 miles from the sea. The whole distance of this magnificent stream from its mouth to its source is above 300 miles. The celebrated American poet, Barlow, thus compliments it; No watery gleams through happier villas shine—Nor drinks the sea a lovelier wave than thine.

CONTOOCOOK, a very consid­erable river in Hillsborough county. Its most southerly branch has its rise near the Great Monadnock mountain in Jaffrey and Rindge, and its most northerly branch flows from Danbury, Wilmot, etc. at a dis­tance of more than fifty miles from each other. These streams after receiving tribute from almost every pond and spring in Dublin, Peterborough, Nelson, Stoddard, Washing­ton, Fishersfield, Bradford, Hillsborough, Antrim, War­ner, Sutton, New-London, Salisbury, Boscawen, and sev­eral other towns, form a junc­tion in the northerly corner of Hopkinton. The main stream passing easterly from this place 8 or 9 miles falls into the Merrimack between Concord and Boscawen. The Contoocook is a very rapid river and at a distance of 10 or 12 miles from its mouth is 100 yards wide. Just before it empties itself into the Merrimack it branches itself and forms an island, which has some celebri­ty as being the spot where a Mrs. Dustin performed a very heroic exploit. This woman had been captured by the In­dians in Haverhill, Massachusetts, and carried to this island. The Indians, 8 or 10 in num­ber, being fatigued and appre­hending no danger laid them­selves down to sleep. The woman seized one of their tomahawks and with it killed and scalped the whole party, took their canoe and returned down the river to Haverhill. She afterwards carried the scalps to Boston and was liber­ally rewarded.

CONWAY, a township situat­ed in the N. E. corner of Straf­ford county. It was incorpo­rated in 1715, and 1810 it contained 1080 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by Chatham and Bartlett, E. by the line of the District of Maine, which sepa­rates it from Fryburgh, S. by Eaton, and W. by Burton and Hale’s grant, containing 34,728 acres. It was called by the In­dians, Pigwacket. A small part of Walker’s pond and Lit­tle Pigwacket pond lie in this town. The latter is about 175 rods in diameter. Saco river passes through this town, where it receives Swift river and several other small streams. The Rev. Mr. Porter was ordained here in 1778, and still continues the minister of the place. Conway has 3 religious societies and 2 meeting-houses. It contains 4 corn-mills, 5 saw-mills, 1 mill for dressing cloth, 2 card­ing-machines, 3 distilleries, and 3 retail stores.

COOS County is bounded S. by the counties of Grafton and Strafford, E. by the. District of Maine, N. by Lower Canada, and W. by Connecticut river. It is composed of 22 towns, 5 locations, and a large tract of unlocated land. In 1810 it contained 3,991 in­habitants, of which 628 were rateable polls. It contained at that time 262 horses, 37 four years old, 47 three years old, 49 two years old; 503 oxen, 231 four years old, 1,383 cows, 637 three years old cattle, and 674 two years old; 13 males, and 1 jack. This county com­prises 128,662 acres of land and water S. of latitude 45° and N. of that latitude it con­tains 160,353 acres. Lancaster is the shire town of this county, and was incor­porated as early as 1763. The county prison is here, and an academy which was incorpo­rated in 1808. Coos county has 12, meeting-houses, 20 grist anills, 27 saw­mills, 5 mills for dressing cloth, 3 carding machines, 11 stores, and 6 distilleries, etc. It sends 27 members to the state legislature. The superi­or court for the county of Grafton and this county is held at Haverhill and Plymouth al­ternately on the 4th Tuesday of December, and the court of common pleas is held at Lancaster on the 4th Tuesday of May.

CORNISH, a township in Cheshire county was incorpo­rated in 1763, and its popula­tion in 1810, amounted to 1600. It is bounded N. by Plainfield, E. by Croydon, S. by Claremont, and W. by Connecticut river, which sepa­rates it from Windsor in Ver­mont. It contains 23,160 a­cres. A bridge crosses the Connecticut from this town to Windsor. The line adjoining Croydon passes over Croydon mountain. Governor’s moun­tain is situated nearly between the bridge and the road to Croydon. In this town are a congrega­tionalist, baptist, and episcopalian society, and a meeting­house for each. In 1768, the Rev. J. Welman was ordained here and removed in 1785. The Rev. J. Rowel and P. Kindreck are the present min­isters. This town contains 4 grain-mills, 10 saw-mills, 2 mills for dressing cloth, 2 carding-machines,and 4 stores.

COVENTRY, a township in Grafton county, bounded N. by Landaff, E. by Peeling, S. by Warner, and W. by Haver­hill, containing 33,290 acres. It was incorporated in 1764, and its number of inhabitants in 1810, was 162. Moose-hillock and Owl-head mountains are in this town. Branches and Oliverian brook, Baker’s river, and Wild Amonoosuck take their rise here. Cov­entry contains 2 grist-mills and 1 saw-mill.

CROYDON, a township in the county of Cheshire, was in­corporated in 1713. Its num­ber of inhabitants is 862. It is bounded N. by New-Gran­tham and a corner of Spring­field, E. by Springfield and Wendall, S. by Newport, and W. by Cornish, and contains 26,000 acres. Croydon mountain extends in a northeasterly direction through this town from its southwestern extremity. On this mountain are two small ponds. Its soil is moist and rocky, and produces excellent grass, besides wheat, rye,corn, etc. The principal articles which this town sends to mar­ket, are beef, pork, butter, cheese, etc. Croydon turnpike passes nearly through the cen­tre of this town. There are several small ponds in this town, which supply some of the minor branches of Sugar river, on which streams are e­rected 4 corn-mills, 5 saw­mills, 1 mill for dressing cloth, and a carding-machine. There is in this town a house of pub­lic worship in which a congre­gational minister officiates.

DALTON, a township in Coos county, containing 235 inhabit­ants. It is bounded N.W. by Connecticut river at the great falls opposite Lunenburgh in Vermont, N. E. by Lancaster and Whitefield, S.E. by White-field, and S.W. by Littleton or the Grafton line. It contains 16,455 acres. John’s river crosses the northerly part of the town, and Blake’s pond forms its E. cor­ner bound. Dalton contains a meeting-house, 3 corn-mills, 2 saw-mills, and 1 mill for dress­ing cloth.

DANBURY, situated in Graf­ton county 6 or 8 miles from Merrimack river. It was in­corporated in 1795, and contains 315 inhabitants. It is bounded N.E. by Alexandria, S. E. by New-Chester, S. W. by the line of Hillsborough county which separates it from Wilmot, and N. W. by a cor­ner of Orange. It contains 19,031 acres. Smith’s river waters this town and the Graf­ton turnpike leads through its western extremity to Orford bridge.

DEERFIELD, a township in Rockingham county, incorpo­rated in 1766. In 1810 it contained 1851 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by Northwood, S. by Candia, E. by Notting­ham, and W. by Allenstown and Epsom, and contains 23, 254 acres. Pleasant pond is situated in the northerly part of this town and is about a mile in length and half a mile in width. There are here sever­al other smaller ponds, one of which is the source of the wes­tern branch of Lamprey river, the northern branch of which passes from Northwood and unites with the western near the centre of Deerfield. The soil of this town is for the most part fertile, producing the va­rious kinds of grain and grass in abundance. Eliphalet Smith was the first ordained minister in this town and removed soon after the re­volutionary war. His success­or was the Rev. Timothy Up­ham, who died in the year 1811, and was succeeded by the Rev. Nathaniel Wells. There is also a baptist church increasing in numbers under the pastoral care of Elder Peter Young. Each of these socie­ties has its house of public worship. At the part of this town called the parade there is a pleasant village of 15 or 20 houses, a small academy, sev­eral stores, mechanics shops, etc. Deerfield contains 4 grain-mills, 4 saw-mills, 2 mills for dressing cloth, 1 carding-ma­chine, 1 oil-mill, and 13 school­houses. The average yearly number of deaths in this town since 1802, has been about 20. The present year an epidemic fever prevailed of which about 20 persons died. Formerly, moose were plen­ty in and about this town. In 1767, Mr. Josiah Prescott kill­ed four within a short time near the same spot.

DEAD RIVER rises in the northerly part of a tract of land granted to Gilmanton and Atkinson academies. After passing through those lands in a number of streams and also through lands granted to Dartmouth college, it unites with Dimond river and falls in­to the Margalla way river on the easterly side of the state, near the S. E. extremity of Wentworth’s location.

DEERING, a township in Hillsborough county, incorpo­rated in 1779. Its population in 1810 was 1363. It is bounded N. by Henniker and Hillsbor­ough., E. by Weare, W. by the southerly branch of Contoocook river which divides this town from Antrim, and S. by Francestown and Green­field. It contains 20,057 acres. Pecker’s pond, in this town, is 180 rods long and 50 wide and forms the source of the norther­ly branch of Piscataquog river. The 2d New-Hampshire turn­pike passes through the south­westerly part of this town. The Rev. William Sleigh is the set­tled minister of the place. There is here 1 meeting-house, 2 corn-mills, 1 saw-mill, 1 clothing-mill, 2 carding-ma­chines, 1 distillery, and 2 trad­ing shops.

DIMOND RIVER. Its wes­terly branch has its rise in a pond of that name in Stewartstown. Thence its course is through Dixville, and after re­ceiving some tributary streams from the lands granted to Dart­mouth college, it empties itself into Dead river which flows from the easterly part of those lands.

DIXVILLE, a township in Coos county, incorporated in 1805, and in 1810, containing 12 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by the college lands and lands granted to Gilmanton and Atkinson academies, E. by the second grant to Dartmouth college and Wentworth’s loca­tion, S. by Millsfield and Erving’s location, and W. by Columbia, Colebrook, and Stewartstown. It contains 31,023 acres. Near its western bor­der is a ridge of mountains, from which flow several ponds forming the sources of two riv­ers, viz. Clear stream and Di­mond river. This town contains a grist-mill and a saw-mill.

DORCHESTER, a township in Grafton county, incorporated in 1761, and containing 537 in­habitants. It is bounded N. by Wentworth, E. by Groton, S. by Dame’s Gore,which sep­arates it from Canaan , and W. by Lyme, and contains 23,617 acres. There are two large ponds in this town, viz. Slown’s pond, which is 500 rods long and 450 wide, and Fowler’s pond, which is 300 rod’s long and 250 wide. The southerly branch of Baker’s river flows through the eastern part of this town, and a branch
of the Mascoma passes its western part. A large mountain lies near its S.E. extremi­ty, and another called Smart’s mountain in the N. W. part of the town. Dorchester contains 3 mills.

DOVER, a considerable town­ship in Strafford county, situated at the head of the tide on Cochecho. It was incorporated in 1633, and in 1810 it con­tained 2,228 inhabitants. It is bounded N. E. by Somers­worth, S.E. by Piscataqua riv­er, S.W. by Madbury, and N. W. by Rochester and a corner of Barrington ; it comprises 15,112 acres. Cochecho river flows through the whole length of this town, and Bellamy bank through its S. E. extremity. A turnpike road passes from the compact part of this town through Somersworth to Ber­wick in Maine. The Indians called this place Winichahanat and Cochecho, and the first settlers named it Northam. Its public build­ings consist of two houses for public worship, one for congregationalists and one for quakers, a court-house, print­ing-office, and a bank, which was incorporated in 1803. There is a handsome village, containing about 70 houses, 18 stores, several offices, and mechanic shops. A packet boat, while the river is open, passes from this town to Portsmouth, every day except Sundays. Dover contains 3 grain-mills, 2 saw-mills, 2 mills for dressing cloth, 2 carding-machines, an oil-mill, and a woolen factory. The Revs. John Reyner, John Pike, Nicholas Seaver, Jonathan Cushing, Jeremiah Belknap have suc­cessively been the ministers of this place. The Rev. J. W. Clary is their present pastor. Edward and William Hil­ton came over from London and commenced the settlement of this township in 1623. In 1630, they obtained a patent from the council at Plymouth conveying to them that place on the Piscataqua, known by the name of Hilton’s point, to­gether with a tract 3 miles wide extending up the S. side of the river as far as Swamscot falls (now Exeter.) Within this tract are now comprised the towns of Dover, Durham, Stratham, a part of Newing­ton and Greenland. In 1633, that beautiful neck of land (now Dover) was surveyed and incorporated. A meet­ing-house was at the same time erected there and surrounded with intrenchments, the traces of which are still visible. In the year 1675, immediate­ly after the invasion of Dur­ham, a large body of the east­ern Indians negotiated a peace with Maj. Waldron at Dover, but, as the war had not ceased in the south, many of the In­dians from that quarter min­gled with their brethren of the east, and under the false ap­pearances of friendship con­trived to sow the seeds of fresh hostilities. In a short time captains Joseph Syll and Wil­liam Hawthorne were ordered to march eastward in pursuit of these insidious enemies. On their march they arrived at Dover on the 6th of September, 1676, where they found 400 In­dians assembled at the house of Maj. Waldron, most of whom were of the peace party and they regarded him as a benefactor and friend. The two captains would have attacked this body immediately, having orders to seize all Indians who had joined in the war. Maj. Wal­dron dissuaded them from this, and planned the following stratagem. He proposed to the whole Indian party a train­ing and sham fight after the English custom. He then formed another party consist­ing of his own men and those under Capt. Frost of Kittery. Having diverted the Indians a short time and permitted them to fire the first volley, he made a dexterous movement and before they could un­derstand his intentions sur­rounded their whole body, seized and disarmed them without shedding blood on ei­ther side. They were imme­diately separated. Wonolancet, with the Penacook tribe who had made peace the preceding win­ter, were amicably dismissed, but the strange Indians (as they were called,) to the num­ber of 200 were secured and sent to Boston. Seven or eight of them who had been guilty of former murders were hanged, and the rest were sold as slaves in foreign parts. The Indians who were discharged by Wal­dron, regarded his conduct as a breach of faith and swore a­gainst him eternal and implac­able revenge. In 1689, after a lapse of 13 years since Waldron’s strata­gem, during which time the 400 Indians who were dismiss­ed had not suffered their rage against him to cool, and many of those, who had been sold’ in­to slavery, having escaped and returned home with a burn­ing thirst for revenge, enter­ed into a confederacy to surprise the major and his neigh­bours, with whom the former party had been living on terms of peace and friendship. In that part of Dover situat­ed near the first falls in the river Cochecho, there were five garrisoned houses, Waldron’s, Otis’, and Heard’s, the two others (Coffin’s and his sons) were on the south side of the river. These houses were sur­rounded with timber walls, the gates of which as well as the doors of the houses were se­cured with bolts and bars. The Indians, as they passed through the town, trading with the inhabitants, scrutinized with attention those wooden fortifications. Some intima­tions of mischievous plots had been given by certain squaws, but in such an ambiguous man­ner as not to be comprehended. Many of Waldron’s men had early apprehensions, but he laughed at their fears and told them to ” plant their pumpkins and he would take care of the Indians.” The ve­ry evening before the alarm he was informed by a young man, that the town was full of In­dians and the people very un­easy, but he answered,” that the Indians behaved very well and that there was no dan­ger.” The plot which was concert­ed was, that two squaws should go to each of the garrisoned houses and ask leave to lodge by the fire, and that in the night, when all the men were asleep, they should open the doors and gates and give the signal by, a whistle, upon which the strange Indians, who were within hearing were to rush in and gratify their long meditated revenge. The plan having been thus arranged, on the evening of the 27th of June two squaws ap­plied to each of the garrisons for lodging, as was not unusual in time of peace, and they were admitted to all but young Coffin’s house. They were taught by their own request how to open the doors in case they should wish to go out during the night. Mesandowit was then in Waldron’s garri­son and hospitably entertained there as he had often been be­fore. The squaws told the major that a number of In­dians were coming to trade with him the next day; and Mesandowit, while at supper, in his usual familiar manner said, ” Brother Waldron what should you do, if the strange Indians should come.” The major carelessly replied that he would assemble one hundred men by the motion of his hand. In this unsuspecting confid­ence the family retired to rest. In the stillness of midnight the gates were opened and the signal was given. The Indians immediately entered, station­ed a guard at Waldron’s door, and rushed into his apartment, which was one of the inner rooms. Awakened by the tu­mult the major sprang from his bed, and though now bur­dened with the weight of 80 yearns. he retained so much of youthful vigour as to drive them with his sword through two or three doors, but as he was returning for his other arms, they levelled him with a blow from behind which left him senseless. Having drag­ged him into his hall, they placed him in an elbow chair upon a long table, and insult­ingly asked him, ” who shall be the judge of Indians now.” They then compelled the peo­ple in the house to provide them food, and when they had finished their repast they cru­elly inflicted gashes on differ­ent parts of Waldron’s body, saying,” we thus cross out our account;” till at last exhaust­ed with loss of blood he was falling from the table, when one of the Indians, holding his own sword under him, in this manner relieved him from his sufferings. They also put to death his son in law Abraham Lee, but made captive his daughter and several others, and then having plundered the house set it on fire. Otis’ garrison,which was next to Waldron’s, met the same fate. Otis himself with
several others were put to death, and his wife and chil­dren were taken prisoners. Heard’s garrison was saved by the barking of a dog at the moment the Indians were en­tering. Elder Wentworth was awakened by the noise. He repelled those who first enter­ed, and falling upon his back, he kept the door closed with his feet, till he had given the alarm. Two balls were fired through the door, but missed him. Coffin’s house was also attacked, but as the Indians had no particular enmity a­gainst him they spared him and his family and contented themselves with pillage. Hav­ing found a bag of money they compelled him to throw it in handfulls on the floor, while they amused themselves in a scramble for it. They then proceeded to the house of his son who had refused to admit the squaws, and promising him quarter they summoned him to surrender. He withstood their offers and resolved to defend his house, but the Indians brought forward his father and threatened to put him to death. Filial affection overwhelmed his courage and he surrender­ed. They put both families into a deserted house, intend­ing to make prisoners of them, but they all escaped while the Indians were engaged in their work of plunder. In this affair 23 people were killed and 29 made captive. Five or six dwelling-houses together with the mills were burned, and so rapid were the Indians in their operations, that they escaped with their prisoners and booty before the people could collect from the town to oppose them; as they passed by Heard’s garrison in their retreat, they fired upon it, but the people within having resolved to defend it, and the enemy being in haste it was saved. The preservation of its owner was still more re­markable. Elizabeth Heard with her three sons and a daughter and several other per­sons were returning in the night from Portsmouth. They passed up the river in their boats unperceived by the In­dians who then had possession of the garrisons. Apprehending danger from some noise, which they heard, they landed and bent their steps to Waldron’s garrison, where they observed lights, which they supposed were held out to those who were seeking refuge. They knocked and entreated admission, but no answer be­ing given, one of the party as­cended the wall, and to his as­tonishment and alarm, saw an Indian stationed with his gun at the door of the house. Mrs. Heard in the agony of fright lost all power to escape, but she implored her children to flee and save themselves, they left her with heavy hearts. She soon recovered herself and crept into some bushes and there lay concealed till day­light, at which time she per­ceived an Indian approaching toward her with a pistol in his hand, who looked in her face and went away. He immedi­ately returned and looked at her again. She then spoke to him, but without making any answer, he went off and she saw no more of him. She continued in her concealment till the conflagration was over and the Indians were gone. She then went to her house and found it safe. This won­derful preservation of Mrs. Heard was a remarkable dis­play of the power of grati­tude in an Indian. At the time of Waldron’s stratagem in 1675, a young Indian es­caped and took refuge in her house. In return for her kind­ness in concealing him he promised that he would never in any future war, injure her or any of her family. This Indian was known to be the one who found her concealed on this eventful night. On the 25th of January, 1691, a young man in the woods near Dover was fired upon by a party of Indians. Lieut. Wilson immediately as­sembled a body of 18 men and went in pursuit of the aggress­ors. He succeeded in his search and killed or wounded the whole party except one. This caused a temporary ter­ror among the Indians, but its effects soon ceased. On the 26th of July, 1696, the people of Dover were at­tacked as they were returning from public worship. Three of them were killed and three carried to Penobscot, who af­terwards escaped and returned home. In August, 1704, a man by the name of Giles was killed, and the people were a­gain waylaid on their return from meeting. In 1706, Wil­liam Pearl and Nathaniel Tibbets were killed, and in 1710, Jacob Garland met the same fate. In the spring of 1711, this town was again attacked by the Indians, and several people as they were returning from meeting fell into an ambush. John Horn was wounded and Humphrey Fass. was taken prisoner; but by the resolute courage of Lieut. Heard he was recovered from the hands of the enemy. In Apri1,1712, ensign Tuttle was killed, and in the July following an am­bush was discovered, but the enemy escaped. While the people were absent in pursuit of them, two children of John Waldron’s were taken and we re cruelly put to death. Al­though there was no man at the time in Heard’s garrison, a woman who was stationed as guard called for help with such a resolute and commanding voice that the Indians supposed the men were near and they therefore departed without do­ing farther mischief. On the 29th of August,1723, the Indians again made their appearance at Dover, where they surprised the house of Jo­seph Ham, whom they put to death, and three of whose chil­dren they carried off. In May, 1724, a party of 13 Mohawks marked the house of a Quaker by the name of Han­son for plunder, and they lay several days in ambush wait­ing for the favourable moment of attack. While Hanson with his eldest daughter were absent at a Quaker meeting and his two eldest sons were working in a distant field, the Indians entered his house, killed and scalped two small children, and made captive his wife, her in­fant and its nurse, two daugh­ters and a son. The next spring Hanson redeemed his wife, the three young children_ and the nurse, but could not obtain his daughter, although he was permitted to visit her. He made a second attempt in 1727, but died at Crown Point on his journey to Canada. The girl afterwards married a Frenchman and never return­ed. In September, 1725, while the people were absent at work in a neighbouring field, a party of Indians concealed themselves in a barn in preparation for an attack. Two women passed by the barn at that moment, and had just arrived at the gar­rison, when the Indians com­menced firing. They killed two men of the name of Evans and wounded another slightly in his breast. The Indians, supposing from the copiousness of his bleeding that he was dead, proceeded to strip and scalp him. He bore this operation without betraying any signs of life, and thus he continued the appearance of death while they struck him many blows with their guns and departed, supposing that they had despatched him. He then arose and walked back naked and bleeding to the garrison. Fainting with his wounds, he dropped at the feet of one of his friends who met him and who carried him to his house: He recovered and lived fifty years afterwards. The Indians also at that time carried off to Canada a lad of the name of Evans, who was afterwards re­deemed. A female of the name of Christina, who was born at Dover in the year 1688, was carried captive with her mother to Canada soon after the des­truction of Dover by the In­dians. In Canada she was edu­cated in the Roman Catholic faith, and she was there marri­ed. Upon the death of her husband she became very anx­ious to revisit the land of her nativity, and an exchange of prisoners taking place in 1714, she returned and married Capt. Thomas Baker, then of North­ampton. She renounced the Catholic religion and removed to Dover, where she lived a bright example of piety, and died on the 23d of Februa­ry, 1773. The number of her posterity of three generations was 72, of whom 57 survived her. On the 25th of June, 1773, died the Hon. George Guage in the 72d year of his age. Having distinguished himself as a philanthropist and patriot in the most important public stations, he received the high­est honours in the gift of his country. He was several times a member of the general as­sembly of the province, and a colonel of the 2d regiment of militia, which was particularly exposed during the war. On the establishment of the coun­ty of Strafford, he was appoint­ed the first judge of probate a few months before his death. In May, 1770, died Friend Joseph Estes in the 74th year of his age, who for a period of 40 years was a public speaker in the quaker meet­ings at Dover and elsewhere. He was universally respected and lamented. In 1772, died Howard Hen­derson at the advanced age of more than 100 years. He was present at the capture of Gib­raltar from the Spaniards in 1704. The annual average number of deaths in this town front 1767 to 1815, has been 19. The largest number was 50 and the smallest 8. During the above period thirty died be­tween the ages of 70 and 80, six between 90 and 100, and one over 100.

DUBLIN, a township in Ches­hire, incorporated in 1761, and now containing 1184 inhabi­tants. It is bounded N. by Nelson and Hancock, S. by Jaffrey, E. by Peterborough, and W. by Marlborough and a part of Roxbury, and contains 26,560 acres, 600 of which are water. Centre pond, a few rods S. W. of the meeting-house, is 300 rods in length and 160 in width. Worth pond is about 400 rods long and 140 wide. There are also several smaller ponds in this place. A branch of the Ashuelot river and two branches of the Contoocook have their rise in Dublin. The form­er falls into the Connecticut, and the latter into the Merri­mack. In the southerly part of this town is situated the grand Monadnock mountain. Dublin has 6 corn-mills, 8 saw­mills, 1 mill for dressing cloth, 1 carding-machine, a- distille­ry, and 11 school-houses. The first minister here was the Rev. Joseph Farrar, a con­gregationalist, who was ordain­ed on the 10th of June, 1772, and dismissed in June, 1776. Rev. Edward Sprague, the pre­sent minister, was settled over the same church in1777. There is also a baptist church here, over which Elder Elijah Wil­lard was ordained in 1794. Each of these societies has a meeting-house. Dublin is com­posed of two small villages be­sides many scattered houses. Dummert, a township in Coos county. It was incorporated in 1773, and now contains only 20 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by Millsfield, E. by Cam­bridge, S. by Paulsburgh, and W. by Kilkenny and some un-granted lands, and contains 27,562 acres. The Ameris-coggin and Amonoosuck riv­ers both pass through this town. There is here 1 saw-mill and 1 grist-mill.
DUMMER FORT. (See Hins­dale.)
DUNBARTON, a township of an elevated situation in Hills­borough county, bounded N. and N. E. by Hopkinton and Bow, E. by Merrimack river, S. by Goffstown, and W. by Weare, containing 20,966 a­cres. It was incorporated in 1765, and in 1810 its popula­tion was 1256. There are here four small ponds, viz. Purga-tory,Woodbury, Long, and Gor­ham ponds ; the waters of all which fall into the Merrimack. This town is connected with Chester by a bridge thrown over the Isle of Hookset Falls, by which the Londonderry turnpike passes the river. The Rev. W. Harris was ordained here in 1789, and is the present minister. There arc in this town 1 meeting-house, 2 grist­mills, and 7 saw-mills.
DUNSTABLE,B township lying in the southeasterly extremity of Hillsborough county. It was incorporated in 1746, and in 1810 it contained 1049 in­habitant’s. It is bounded N. by Merrimack, E. by Merri­mack river, which separates it from Nottingham West, S. by the state line, which divides it from Dunstable in Massachu­setts, and W. by Hollis, and comprises 18,878 acres. At this place Nashua river emp­ties itself into the Merrimack, forming an island and the place called Nashua mouths. Pennychuck brook constitutes the northern boundary of the town. The former ministers in this place have been the Rev. Messrs. Swan and Kidder. At present the Rev. Mr. Sper­ry is settled here. The princ­ipal village consists of 8 or 10 dwelling-houses and 2 stores. About a mile below at the place called the harbour there are nearly as many more build­ings. In former years this town among others suffered from the Indian parties, who were prowling upon our frontiers. Two men having been missed from this town, a scouting par­ty consisting of 11 were de­spatched in search of them. They were attacked by the Indians and 9 of them were killed, and the surviving 2 escaped badly wounded. At a subsequent period another party from this town fell into an ambush, but the enemy not having an equal force retreated leaving 1 killed and 4 wounded. In 1724, a volunteer company under the command of Capt. Lovell was raised from this town and became alike re­markable for its success and its misfortunes. Its first ex­pedition was to the northward of lake Winnipiseogee where they killed 1 of the enemy and made 1 prisoner. In 1725, Capt. Lovell marched from Dunstable with the design of attacking the villages of Pigwacket on the upper part of the river Saco, where a formidable tribe had once inhabited and now occasionally resided. Lov­ell had with hires 46 men includ­ing a chaplain and a surgeon. Two of them having lamed themselves, returned home,and another falling sick,his compan­ions built a stockadefort on the west side of the great Ossipee pond and left him at this place with the surgeon and 8 others for a guard. The remaining 34 now pursued their march northward about ’22 miles from the fort to a pond,.on the east side of which they encamped. Early the next day, while at their morning devotions, they, heard the report of a gun and discovered a single Indian more than a mile distant stand on a point of land which pro­jected into the pond. They had been alarmed the preced-_ ing night by noises, which they supposed came from the ene­my, and their suspicions were now confirmed. They believ­ed that the Indian they saw was stationed to decoy them, and that the body of his com­panions was in their front. A consultation was held and they resolved to march forward, and by surrounding the pond to command the point where they observed the Indian. In pre­paration for action they threw off their packs and were oblig­ed to leave them without a guard. In their march they crossed a carrying place, through which two parties con­tinuing 41 Indians, commanded by Paps and Waha, who had been scouting down Saco river and were now returning to their lower village. Having discovered Lovell’s track, they followed it till they came to the packs, which they seized, and upon counting them found the force of their enemies to be smaller than their own. They accordingly stationed them­selves in ambush in prepara­tion to attack. The Indian, who had been seen on the point and was now returning to the village by another path met Lovell’s party and was fir­ed upon. He returned the fire and wounded Lovell ‘and one of his companions- with small shot. Lieut.Wyman then lev­elled at him and killed him and took his scalp. Discover­ing no other signs of the ene­my, Lovell’s party then return­ed to the spot where they had left their packs. While they were searching for them, the Indians rose from their ambush and rushed upon them with a frightful yelling. A brisk fir­ing then ensued en both sides. Capt. Lovell with eight others were killed, and Lieut. Farwell was wounded. Several of the Indians fell also ; but as they were superior in number to Lovell’s party and their inten­tion being discovered, the lat­ter retreated with the hope of sheltering themselves behind a rocky point and a few large trees on the shore. In this forlorn condition they took their station. On their right was a brook at that time unfordable ; on their left was the point of rocks ; their front was partly covered by a deep bog, and the pond was in their rear. The enemy immediately open­ed a galling fire upon their front and flanks, and could they have used this advantage skil­fully they might have killed or captured the whole of our par­ty, who were destitute of pro­visions and cut off from re­treat. Under the command of Lieut. Wyman they con­tinued their fire and retained their courage the whole day, in the course of which their chaplain,Jonathan Erie, ensign Robbins, with one other per­son were mortally wounded. The Indians made signs to them to surrender by holding up ropes, endeavouring at the same time to intimidate them by horrid yells. Our people were resolved to die rather than surrender, and by a welt directed fire the ranks of the enemy were thinned and their yells became fainter. At the close of the day the Indians abandoned their advantageous ground carrying with them their killed and wounded and leaving the bodies of Lovell and his companions unscalped. The surviving remnant of our brave countrymen found three of their number unable to move from the spot and eleven oth­ers of the wounded, who had still strength enough to march, and nine only who were unin­jured. It was an agonizing necessity to abandon their dy­ing companions, but there was no alternative. Ensign Rob­bins desired that his gun might he left charged by his side, so that if the enemy should re­turn, he might sacrifice at least one more of them to his re­venge. On the rising of the moon they departed from this fatal spot and directed their march toward the fort where the surgeon and the guard had been left. To their astonishment they found the place de­serted. On the commencement of the action, one man, (whose name has not been suffered to disgrace the history of this af­fair) fled to die fort,where in the language of Job’s messenger, he informed the guard of Lovell’s death and the defeat of his party, upon which they made the best of their way home, leaving behind them a quantity of provisions which was a seasonable relief to the retreating survivors. Lieu­tenant Farwell and the chaplain who kept the journal of the march, perished in the woods from an unavoidable want of attention to their wounds. The remaining few after a long se­ries of hardships, arrived at their homes at different times. They were received with joy and recompensed for their suf­ferings and their valour by public gratitude and affection. A generous provision was made for the widows and chil­dren of the slain. Capt. Tyng of Dunstable, immediately collected a com­pany, marched to the place of the engagement, and having found the bodies of the killed, buried them and carv,d thNir names on the surrounding trees. The Indians, among many oth, ers, lost Pagus their chief. The place where the action was fought was Pigwacket, now the south part of the town of Fryburgh.
DURAND, a small township in Coos county containing 62 inhabitants. Bounded N. by Mainsboro’, E. by Shelburne, S.by the White mountains, and W. by Kilkenny. It contains 25,672 acres. One branch of Moose river and several branch­es of the Amonoosuck and Isra­el rise in this town.